Director, Cloud Operations
At Life360, we’re on a mission to simplify safety so families can live fully. Everyday more than 60 million members across 195 countries trust us to protect and connect their loved ones at home, on the road, and on the go.
From real-time location updates to keep everyone coordinated, to Crash Detection and 24/7 Roadside Assistance, Life360 is designed to free families from everyday worries. Our range of Driving Safety, Digital Safety, Location Safety, and Personal Safety features are there to keep our members safe every step of the way.
Life360 has more than 500 (and growing!) remote-first employees.
In 2021, Life360 acquired Tile, the pioneer in finding technology, and Jiobit, one of the top real-time location monitoring platforms for families. These expanded offerings mark an important step forward towards achieving our vision of being the world's leading platform for people, pets and things.
Life360 is a Remote First company, which means a remote work environment will be the primary experience for all employees. All positions, unless otherwise specified, can be performed remotely (within the US) regardless of any specified location above.
About the Job
The Director of CloudOps at Life360 will lead and transform our cloud operations with a focus on delivering top-tier Cloud as a Service (CaaS) capabilities, creating state-of-the-art tooling, enabling robust cloud infrastructure solutions, and emphasizing efficiency, cost optimization, compliance, and strong relationships with our cloud service provider, AWS. This role is ideal for a strategic leader adept in a fast-paced environment, with a deep understanding of cloud technologies, operational excellence, compliance standards, and financial acumen.
The US-based salary range for this position is $235,000 to $335,000. We take into consideration an individual's background and experience in determining final salary – therefore, base pay offered may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The compensation package includes a wide range of medical, dental, vision, financial, and other benefits, as well as equity.
What You’ll Do
- Strategic Leadership and Vision: Align with the Director of SRE & Devops on a cloud strategy that integrates business goals, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and compliance.
- Guide the CloudOps team to operational excellence and continuous improvement in cloud service delivery.
- Cloud as a Service Delivery: Manage robust, scalable, and cost-efficient Cloud as a Service offerings, focused on infrastructure, deployment and tooling. Ensure high availability, performance, security, and cost-effectiveness of the cloud infrastructure..
- Tooling and Automation: Lead the development and implementation of advanced tooling solutions for cloud operations that boost developer efficiency.
- Efficiency and Cost Optimization: Strategically optimize cloud resources and spending. Implement cost-saving strategies and efficient resource utilization methodologies. Provide expertise on efficiency and cost management to internal stakeholders.
- Infrastructure at Scale: Proven experience with an always-on, stream processing system built on an infrastructure architecture that proves elastic scalability to continually support rapid user growth.
- Compliance and Auditor Interaction: Ensure adherence to compliance standards and regulatory requirements. Actively engage with auditors, manage compliance audits, and incorporate compliance requirements into cloud operations.
- Owning AWS Relationship: Build and maintain a strong relationship with AWS. Manage the partnership to leverage the best services, support, and pricing for Life360.
- Capability Building: Develop enduring capabilities in the team through training, mentoring, and hiring top talent. Cultivate a culture of innovation, collaboration, technical and financial excellence.
- Stakeholder Collaboration: Collaborate with the distributed cloud engineers in a customer-centric manner for integrated, cost-effective cloud solutions.
- Budget Management and Financial Reporting: Oversee cloud-related budgets, conduct financial analysis, and report on efficiencies and cost savings. Implement financial controls for optimal cloud spending management.
- Incident Management and Compliance: Maintain robust incident management processes and ensure compliance with relevant regulations, standards and controls.
What We’re Looking For
- Overall Professional Experience: at least 10-15 years of relevant professional experience in IT, cloud operations, or related fields.
- Specific Cloud Experience: at least 5-7 years of experience should be directly related to cloud computing, such as hands-on experience with cloud services (like AWS, Azure, GCP), cloud architecture, and cloud service management.
- Leadership Experience: Candidates should also have substantial experience (5+ years of experience) in leadership or management roles, overseeing teams, projects, or departments related to cloud operations, IT infrastructure, or similar areas.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field or the equivalent experience.
- Proven experience in a senior cloud operations role, with a focus on efficiency, cost optimization, compliance, and strong vendor relationships.
- Demonstrable AWS cloud computing experience at scale, utilizing multiple AWS primitives, infrastructure as code, automation tools, and financial management.
- Strong communication, project management, and financial acumen.
- Experience with Compliance and Vendor Management: Experience with compliance standards, auditor interaction, and managing relationships with vendors like AWS is also crucial.
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Mental Wellness Program & Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental well being
- Flexible PTO, 13 company wide days off throughout the year & paid Holiday Shutdown
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your preferred circle
- Free Tile Products
Our company’s mission driven culture is guided by our shared values to create a trusted work environment where you can bring your authentic self to work and make a positive difference
- Be a Good Person - We have a team of high integrity people you can trust.
- Be Direct With Respect - We communicate directly, even when it’s hard.
- Members Before Metrics - We focus on building an exceptional experience for families.
- High Intensity High Impact - We do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the below qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying!