Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Life360 is a Remote First company, which means a remote work environment will be the primary experience for all employees. All positions, unless otherwise specified, can be performed remotely (within Canada) regardless of any specified location above.
At Life360, we’re on a mission to simplify safety so families can live fully. Everyday more than 50 million members across 195 countries trust us to protect and connect their loved ones at home, on the road, and on the go.
From real-time location updates to keep everyone coordinated, to Crash Detection and 24/7 Roadside Assistance, Life360 is designed to free families from everyday worries. Our range of Driving Safety, Digital Safety, Location Safety, and Personal Safety features are there to keep our members safe every step of the way.
Life360 has more than 500 (and growing!) remote-first employees.
In 2021, Life360 acquired Tile, the pioneer in finding technology, and Jiobit, one of the top real-time location monitoring platforms for families. These expanded offerings mark an important step forward towards achieving our vision of being the world's leading platform for people, pets and things.
About the Team
The Location Cloud team develops and maintains the core backend services critical to delivering real-time location functionality to the Life360 app. Our distributed systems are optimized for durability, high availability, low latency, and internet-scale. The Location Cloud team is a part of our Location Operating Group, which focuses on all the location-based features the Life360 app offers our millions of users.
What You’ll Do
- Build fault-tolerant, low latency, horizontally scalable solutions which can handle billions of transactions per day
- Tackle performance and reliability challenges in some of Life360's most mission critical systems
- Serve as a technical leader and mentor on one of Life360’s core engineering teams, instilling engineering excellence within the team
- Exercise Service Ownership responsibilities by joining the team’s on-call schedule, mitigating production incidents, and participating in our culture of blameless postmortems
Who You Are
- You have architected, developed and operated production-ready distributed systems at scale (Life360 operates at 10+ billion transactions per day)
- You have experience in building, maintaining, and supporting systems that are either web-based and/or use real-time distributed messaging platforms (we use NSQ, Kinesis, and Kafka)
- You have significant backend programming experience in Java and a java-based micro service framework (we use Spring Boot)
- You are experienced with usage of orchestration platforms and container runtimes, infrastructure as code, and cloud-native environments (we use Kubernetes, docker, and terraform, all hosted on AWS)
- You have experience and interest in leading and mentoring junior engineers on engineering best practices
- You have remote work experience and are able to work and communicate effectively (both synchronously and asynchronously) in a fast-paced, remote first organization
- 5+ years as a backend engineer dealing with production large-scale, distributed backend systems
- You have a BS/MS/Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar quantitative field or the equivalent industry experience
We value having a diverse and inclusive community from many backgrounds, so even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, we encourage you to apply.
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Health benefits include dental, vision, life, and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- DPSP with company matching and RSP
- Mental Wellness Program & Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental well being
- Flexible PTO, company-wide days off throughout the year & paid Holiday Shutdown
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your preferred circle
- Free Tile Products
Our company’s mission driven culture is guided by our shared values to create a trusted work environment where you can bring your authentic self to work and make a positive difference
- Be a Good Person - We have a team of high integrity people you can trust.
- Be Direct With Respect - We communicate directly, even when it’s hard.
- Members Over Metrics - We focus on building an exceptional experience for families.
- High Intensity High Impact - We do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.