Staff DevOps Engineer
Life360 is a Remote First company, which means a remote work environment will be the primary experience for all employees. All positions, unless otherwise specified, can be performed remotely (within the US) regardless of any specified location above.
At Life360, we’re on a mission to simplify safety so families can live fully. Everyday more than 50 million members across 195 countries trust us to protect and connect their loved ones at home, on the road, and on the go.
From real-time location updates to keep everyone coordinated, to Crash Detection and 24/7 Roadside Assistance, Life360 is designed to free families from everyday worries. Our range of Driving Safety, Digital Safety, Location Safety, and Personal Safety features are there to keep our members safe every step of the way.
Life360 has more than 500 (and growing!) remote-first employees.
In 2021, Life360 acquired Tile, the pioneer in finding technology, and Jiobit, one of the top real-time location monitoring platforms for families. These expanded offerings mark an important step forward towards achieving our vision of being the world's leading platform for people, pets and things.
We value having a diverse and inclusive community from many backgrounds, so even if you don’t meet 100% of the below qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying!
About The Team
The Tools and Infrastructure Team is focused on maintaining the infrastructure, platforms, and tools used by other engineering teams. This includes platforms like Kubernetes and Jenkins along with the core database platforms (primarily MySQL and Cassandra).
About the Job
This is a technical lead role that will help chart the course for the tooling and infrastructure platforms while also consistently solving the hard problems yourself. You will providing a mix of technical roadmap guidance (How should we accomplish the goals?), POC demonstrations of suitable technology/patterns, and working with the team to implement the roadmap.
The salary range for this position is $184,500.00 - $240,000.00. We take into consideration an individual's background and experience in determining final salary- therefore, base pay offered may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The compensation package includes a wide range of medical, dental, vision, financial, and other benefits, as well as equity.
What You’ll Do
As a Staff DevOps engineer you will be responsible for being opinionated on technical direction and strategy (and documenting those opinions for others to be able to follow), leading and mentoring other engineers on the team, and helping implement or diagnose the thorniest of the problems seen. This is an on call position with roughly one week every six weeks on call (with follow the sun support on weekdays).
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's in Computer Science, Engineering, related field or equivalent practical experience
- 3+ years of experience programming in Java, Python, or other formal programming language
- Expert level experience managing medium to large scale deployments on AWS (~5000 instances, 50+ accounts)
- Expert level experience with Infrastructure as code tools: Terraform, CloudFormation; config management/provisioning tools: Ansible, Chef, etc.
- Strong Kubernetes experience deploying and running at scale (10k+ containers).
- Strong Build / Automation / CI/CD experience.
- Database knowledge is a plus.
- Excellent troubleshooting, attention to detail
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Mental Wellness Program & Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental well being
- Flexible PTO, 13 company wide days off throughout the year & paid Holiday Shutdown
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your preferred circle
- Free Tile Products
Our company’s mission driven culture is guided by our shared values to create a trusted work environment where you can bring your authentic self to work and make a positive difference
- Be a Good Person - We have a team of high integrity people you can trust.
- Be Direct With Respect - We communicate directly, even when it’s hard.
- Members Over Metrics - We focus on building an exceptional experience for families.
- High Intensity High Impact - We do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.