Senior Software Engineer
Sage is on a mission to improve care and quality of life for older adults, starting with those residing in senior living facilities. Falls are the leading cause of injury-related death among adults over 65. And yet, fall prevention and emergency response systems for older adults are archaic and ineffective. At Sage we've built a more modern way of understanding when older adults need help, including methods for residents to alert caregivers when in need of help, and corresponding software for caregivers to triage response. Our company mission is to create a product that our client counterparts love, and this role is a key part of that objective.
Sage is a small, tight team of ambitious, multi-disciplinary entrepreneurs. We are a software-enabled, mission-driven company, and are focused only on the problems that are central to achieving that mission. At Sage, we work hard and fast but also know that to build a truly important company, we need to treat our work as a marathon, and not a sprint. The journey matters.
About This Role
As a backend engineer, you will be one of the main developers building the infrastructure powering the core Sage platform. Sage powers mission-critical operational workflows and always* needs to work. You will work directly with Sage's engineering leaders to design and implement features to make our platform more robust and enable our distributed platform to scale. You will have a direct impact on the direction our infrastructure takes as we grow. Experience with distributed systems and stateless microservices is helpful, but most important is a strong software development foundation and a deep interest in building robust, scalable systems.
Some examples of the work you could be doing on any given day include the following:
- Implementing features for our append-only data model, and ensuring that any scale limitations in our data architecture are accounted for
- Designing a 3rd-party API and service for consumption of our platform insights
- Implementing blue-green downtime-less upgrades for a new microservice
- Implementing ETL pipelines to surface insights on sensor data collected via our Sage Voice device
- At least 5 years of experience as a backend developer
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Experience with object-oriented programming
- Demonstrated ability to breakdown complex problems and explain them, at the correct level of detail, to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience leading software development projects and software development teams
- Experience building microservices in Java
- Experience building horizontally-scalable, highly-available distributed systems
- Experience with web frameworks (ex. Dropwizard, Spring)
- Experience with relational databases (ex. PostgreSQL)
- Experience with caching technologies such as Redis
- Familiarity with Docker containerization
- Familiarity with deploying a platform architecture via AWS
Benefits and Pay
Our headquarters are located in New York City's Union Square. We believe in cross team collaboration. We think good ideas can come from anyone, and we've designed our processes to encourage participation from all. While we take our mission seriously, we don't take ourselves too seriously. We like to host offsites, outings, and team meals where we can connect as people, not just as colleagues. We offer office lunch and a fully stocked snack bar. While we are an in office culture, we allow up to 2 remote days per week.
Our benefits package for employees includes competitive base compensation along with stock options. The expected annual salary range for this role is [$X-$X] USD, depending upon the job level, which will depend on your level of expertise, your experience, and your qualifications. We also provide fully-paid health and dental insurance coverage for all of our employees, along with other health benefits including vision insurance, membership to premium primary and urgent care, and online medical health providers. We also have a take as you need time off policy, in addition to 7 paid holidays and a company wide winter break during the holidays.
Sage is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Sage makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.