Operations Manager (Bay Area)
Oakland, CA, USA · San Francisco, CA, USA · Oakland, CA, USA · San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Operations Manager (Bay Area)
SF Bay Area, CA
Operations Management /
Ridwell is a service that inspires people to create a future without waste. Today, we make it easy to reuse and recycle more by identifying recyclable and reusable items that the city doesn't collect, picking them up from our customers' doorsteps, and matching them with local partners that can use them sustainably. Our future plans go much further and include making zero waste a reality for millions.
We are a social purpose corp, meaning sustainability is not just a company value - it's fundamental to the purpose and interests of our company. Our mission is to empower communities to waste less, and every success our team celebrates means more waste saved from the landfill, less clutter in our customer’s homes, and more valuable donations in the hands of local non-profits.
We’re funded and growing quickly and are excited to add to our team. We offer a strong benefits package, a flexible work and vacation schedule, and a team invested in the personal growth of its employees. This is a unique opportunity to get in at the beginning and help build something special!
About the Role
We’re looking for an Operations Manager to oversee the day-to-day operations of Ridwell's newest fleet and warehouse in the San Francisco Bay Area. You’ll thrive in fast-paced environments and want to help improve how we do our work every day. We’re looking for team players who come up with creative ways to solve problems. You will be responsible for establishing and growing the Bay Area’s operations; hiring and managing a local team of Drivers and Warehouse Associates. This role calls for a combination of hustle, bar-raising operational experience, creative problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
The warehouse is located in San Leandro.
- Our Member is Our Hero. Our members are at the core of our company. Only by empowering them can we accomplish our vision.
- We Never Settle. We are relentlessly pursuing the exceptional and challenging the status quo–always making our service, experience, and company better.
- We Take Our Success Personally. We all have a stake in the success of Ridwell. You are empowered to make an impact.
- Purpose Drives Our Actions. Knowing why we are doing something enables us to focus on what is truly important.
- We Are Stronger Together. Every person is critical to our success. We need diverse perspectives to execute on creative solutions. By fostering collaboration and connection at every level, we can be phenomenal.
- Manage and execute day-to-day operations, including making sure that members have what they need to begin service, all pickups happen, and all material collected is delivered to reuse and recycling partners.
- Drive continuous improvement projects to optimize operations and improve productivity to meet and exceed business objectives; work on strategic projects that have total warehouse and market-wide impact.
- Schedule employees to make sure that all scheduled stops are complete.
- Work with the warehouse team to make sure all materials are being processed and moving through the warehouse consistently.
- Make sure the drivers get out the door in the morning with everything they need for success and return safely at the end of the day.
- Optimize and report on the economic performance for the fleet and warehouse operations. Ensure the building and vehicles are properly equipped.
- Create, iterate and improve standard operating procedures.
- Hire and scale the Bay Area team and operations as Ridwell grows, managing warehouse employees and drivers, leading this dynamic team to achieve operational excellence through coaching and mentoring, driving employee engagement, and building leadership bench strength within a warehouse environment.
- Measure performance, provide feedback, and hold leaders accountable. Mentor and develop leaders and staff. Participate in recruiting to identify and evaluate internal/external candidates for promotion and hire.
- Mentoring, training, and developing employees for career progression, and performance development.
- Proactively identifying pain points and leading process improvement initiatives.
- Monitoring staffing levels to look ahead and ensure we have the proper headcount and are able to meet the changing needs of the business.
- Consistently innovate and implement best practices in Fleet and Warehouse Operations and Safety.
Qualifications & Requirements
- 5+ years of startup growth, city management, operations management, or similar experience that involved budget and/or P&L responsibilities Ideally, you’ve established a new market by rolling up your sleeves and setting up the infrastructure for a successful business.
- Hands-on, scrappy, and proactive. Comfort with ambiguity, willing to take responsibility and ownership, and proven ability to take initiative and easily adapt in a fast-growing environment.
- You take ownership of your work and team and are available to work overtime and as needed year-round. In addition, you are flexible to work on any type of assigned shift (nights, weekends, etc.).
- Decision-making mentality and sound business judgment through analytical thinking. You enjoy analytical work and using data to provide thought-provoking and workable solutions. Data is what you look to when given a problem to solve.
- Grasp what makes our brand special for our members with the ability to articulate that to external stakeholders across scenarios.
- Curiosity and growth mindset that looks at each activity as a chance to learn and improve.
- Experience hiring, training, and leading teams. Warehouse experience is a plus.
- Ability to look at your market’s P&L and focus your team’s time and effort towards improving costs and/or driving additional revenue via existing or new channels.
- Strong communication skills, both to get things done collaboratively with internal partners and to speak with external stakeholders.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Operations, Business or a related field, however, experience may be considered in lieu of education.
$90,000 - $110,000 a year
This range is a good-faith estimate for this position. The final salary offer will be determined after reviewing relevant factors, which include a candidate's qualifications and experience, where appropriate. Compensation includes both salary and equity options. At this time, we can only hire US-based candidates.
Benefits at Ridwell
We are committed to creating a supportive environment for our employees. We offer the following:
- Flexible vacation and sick leave policy
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits including vision and dental
- Paid parental leave
- 401(k) plan
Individuals seeking employment at Ridwell are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Ridwell, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. For more information, please contact our HR department at HR@Ridwell.com.