Senior Backend Engineer
Remote · New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, July 6, 2023
Who We Are
Ro is a direct-to-patient healthcare company with a mission of helping as many patients as possible achieve their health goals. Ro is the only company to offer telehealth care, at-home diagnostic testing, labs, and pharmacy services nationwide. This is enabled by Ro's vertically integrated platform that helps patients achieve their goals through a convenient end-to-end healthcare experience spanning from diagnosis, to delivery of medication, to ongoing care. Since 2017, Ro has helped millions of patients in nearly every single county in the United States, including 98% of primary care deserts.
Ro was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 in 2022, listed by Inc. Magazine as a Best Place to Work in 2022 for our third consecutive year, and named one of FORTUNE's 2022 Best Medium Workplaces.
As a backend engineer at Ro, you'll work on an end-to-end platform that includes patient intake, commerce, telemedicine, at-home testing, health data management, and a pharmacy network that ships to all 50 states. You’ll design and build new applications and platform capabilities while evolving Ro’s technical architecture in order to scale patient-centric healthcare to millions of patients. You will help lead the team’s technical roadmap and be expected to own initiatives from ideation to design, implementation and maintenance. You’ll partner closely with product, design, and data teams and have the opportunity to collaborate with security, pharmacy, clinical, and legal experts.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and build distributed services with high test coverage, performance, availability and observability that power Ro’s end-to-end healthcare platform
- Actively contribute to building the team’s architectural vision and technical roadmap
- Collaborate on code reviews and technical design documents to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- Collaborate with product, design, data and other stakeholders to understand business goals and priorities
What You’ll Bring:
- Experience designing and building scalable web applications and distributed systems
- Proficiency with Python
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- Strong sense of ownership with the ability / desire to own technical roadmaps and refine ambiguous problems
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other engineers and cross-functional partners to create the best possible products
- Service design and architecture experience, defining patterns and best practices for others to follow
- Experience with decoupling monolithic applications into distributed asynchronous services
- Proficiency with FastAPI (or similar frameworks) and Postgres (or similar relational databases)
- Experience with message/topic based platforms and/or event-driven architectures
- Experience with FHIR
We’ve Got You Covered:
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance + OneMedical membership
- Healthcare and Dependent Care FSA
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible PTO
- Wellbeing + Learning & Growth reimbursements
- Paid parental leave + Fertility benefits
- Pet insurance
- Student loan refinancing
- Virtual resources for mindfulness, counseling, and fitness
The target base salary for this position ranges from $161,500 - $198,500, in addition to a competitive equity and benefits package (as applicable). When determining compensation, we analyze and carefully consider several factors, including location, job-related knowledge, skills and experience. These considerations may cause your compensation to vary.
Ro recognizes the power of in-person collaboration, while supporting the flexibility to work anywhere in the United States. For our Ro’ers in the tri-state (NY) area, you will join us at HQ on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For those outside of the tri-state area, you will be able to join in-person collaborations throughout the year (i.e., during team on-sites).
At Ro, we believe that our diverse perspectives are our biggest strengths — and that embracing them will create real change in healthcare. As an equal opportunity employer, we provide equal opportunity in all aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, training and promotion, termination, and any other terms and conditions of employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, familial status, age, disability and/or any other legally protected classification protected by federal, state, or local law.