Senior Electrical Engineer
Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. Hammerhead sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we have begun with a contradiction we identified in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2, we built software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike.
As of 2022, Hammerhead has been acquired by SRAM, the manufacturer of innovative bicycle components. Throughout its 32-year history, SRAM has focused on its product development innovation expertise in all bicycling disciplines and is the second largest manufacturer of bike parts in the world. With a sizable Karoo user base, a community that’s deeply passionate about the product and the support of SRAM, we have tremendous momentum behind us and are hard at work developing the software layer of the bicycle.
Senior Electrical Engineer
As a Senior Electrical Engineer, your mission is to build and ship a world-class fitness technology and cycling product.
Responsibilities + Outcomes
Deliver robust, innovative and highly-scalable hardware designs
- Deliver electrical designs that are optimized for product objectives including features, size, weight, cost, efficiency, and reliability constraints
- Lead component research, validation, and selection
- Build testing procedures for passive and active effects of the system under various operational conditions (simulation and experimental)
- Own design for performance and reliability through product life-cycle including design and execution of performance tests, reliability tests, and field failure analysis
Own electrical engineering timeline to meet product launch objectives
- Work with the Program Management to proactively prevent any hardware development and manufacturing bottlenecks with good design, clear documentation, and planning
- Identify, escalate, and resolve unexpected issues and challenges quickly and efficiently
- Request resources needed to meet development timelines for electrical engineering projects
- Ensure that Hammerhead is able to patent any novel concepts that are designed in partnership with our mechanical and industrial design teams
- Set up, manage, and maintain CAD, BOM, and PLM systems with meticulous organization and best practices
- Actively participate in reviews of architecture, DFM, DFMA, DFMEA, FEA
- Manage stakeholders (vendors, consultants, etc) in EE projects
Lead testing and testing development for electrical designs
- Conduct design review of all Electrical CAD stackups produced by vendors
- Design, build and manage hardware reliability testing for electrical systems and subsystems
- Review and validate manufacturing samples of components
- Design and implement hardware jigs or fixtures for manufacturing assembly and testing
- Craft and communicate strong opinions and perspectives without being defensive or dogmatic
- Demonstrably data driven with product analytics experience
- Reliable team member who executes on commitments
- Solutions oriented, applying resourceful and creative problem solving
- Strong product vision, and an ability to identify problems worth solving
- System level technical understanding
- Writing specifications and tests
- Leading issue investigation/failure analysis
- Manufacturing and new product introduction (NPI)
- Schematic and layout design
- Integration engineering with Firmware, ME CAD, and testing
- Android device design or embedded linux computer design
- Interfacing with design and manufacturing vendors
- Communicating design requirements clearly
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering or related degrees required. MS preferred.
- Generally requires 5+ years experience designing consumer or industrial hardware products
- Senior Electrical Engineer reports to Hammerhead's Vice President of Hardware Engineering, Robert Martinez.
- This is a hybrid position, based out of a SRAM office in Colorado Springs, CO or Chicago, IL or Phoenixville, PA with the option to work from home 2 days per week. Relocation packages available.
- At Hammerhead, we’re committed to building an equitable and inclusive global economy. And we can’t do this without our most important asset—you. That’s why we offer benefits to help you thrive in every stage of life. We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you. The benefits for this position include group health insurances including medical, dental, vision, and ancillary plans. As well as 401k match, life insurance, long term disability, and paid time off.
- The salary for this role starts at $125,000 and increases, based on skills and experience level. This position is eligible for an annual corporate bonus based on company and individual performance.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Something looks off?