Director of Learning Design, Custom
Since 2011, General Assembly (GA) has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, marketing, and more, both online and at campuses across multiple countries. Our global professional community boasts more than 95,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top diverse tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly is seeking a Director, Learning Design – Custom Curriculum to lead the development of our client-facing learning content. Working closely with the Enterprise Solutions and Enterprise Delivery teams,, the Director, Learning Design – Custom Curriculum sets the timely, on-budget execution and high-quality of General Assembly’s customized learning content including curriculum, course materials and self-paced online lessons. This dynamic leader will use agile, rapid development methodologies, flexible resources (including full-time resources, lent resources, vendors, and contractors) to execute development against tight deadlines and client requirements. The Director, Learning Design – Custom Curriculum must be a solutions-oriented, creative, ambitious problem solver who identifies creative ways to execute high-quality work in a low-cost, efficient manner.
Ideal candidate will be located in the U.S. or in the U.K.; however, this role has flexibility to be 100% remote.
- Collaborate with enterprise sales and solutions architecture on the best curriculum - using a combination of modularized content, contextualized content, and new content - to achieve a client’s training goals and timeline needs.
- Oversee multiple projects for different clients, ensuring that each is properly resourced and managed to scope, budget and time.
- Lead the instructional design strategy and practices across the Custom Curriculum team, supporting communication and identifying synergies between other teams within Product and Learning.
- Partner with the Enterprise Solutions team, Director, Learning Experience and VP Technology to ensure that curriculum needs align with client technical requirements.
- Lead sensitive client meetings, assertively and diplomatically negotiating reasonable expectations.
- Lead and facilitate a Deal Review Team to understand prospective deals, scope, requirements and time and facilitate cross-functional Product approval.
- Establish the end-to-end resourcing and onboarding function for the team, assuring all hires for the team meet and exceed the GA talent bar and recruiting outside talent for GA through recruitment functions.
- Ensure the consistent performance of all content creators against time, quality, and budget standards, including Instructional Designers, Subject-Matter Experts, and cross-functional contributors (Content, Video, instructors, etc).
- Establish and track KPIs and track / report progress against the same for ongoing operational improvements.
- Track and action urgent content issues in live content at all times. Own, support and drive process improvements around on-call, while ensuring a healthy balance/culture in assuring high priority production issues are handled quickly and efficiently 24x7.
- Ensure General Assembly stays up to date on best practices in rapid custom curriculum contextualization and customization, including the use of authoring tools, content management tools, and generative-AI tools. .
- 8 to 10 years experience leading teams developing curricula for technology training programs, specifically software engineering, data analytics, and generative AI or other related disciplines.
- Experience working with rapid development models, including standardized, repeatable practices delivered within tight timelines
- Experience interfacing with and presenting to clients, including executives, functional leaders, subject matters experts, L&D leaders, and constituents
- Willingness to flex your schedule to join meetings in different timezones, particularly in the United States and Europe, Middle East, and Asia.
- Previous experience in successfully managing high functioning client-centered instructional design teams.
- Previous management experience in technical education is highly preferred with expertise in software development and/or data analytics.
- Proficiency in hiring and building teams (including remote and global teams).
- A go-to resource for all process/tool related questions.
- Ability to guide others in developing instructional design skills as well as skills requisite for ID management tools and common communications tools.
- Bachelor's degree strongly preferred in business, education, technology, or associated field
Unless otherwise noted, remote positions can be performed from the following approved General Assembly operating countries.
United States of America (states of operation may vary), Canada (provinces of operation may vary), United Kingdom, Australia, and Singapore.