Senior Manager - Technical & Revenue Accounting
Since 2011, General Assembly (GA) has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, marketing, and more, both online and at campuses across multiple countries. Our global professional community boasts more than 95,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top diverse tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
We are looking for an experienced revenue accountant to join our global team. This position is an integral part of the Accounting team, reporting to the VP, Global Controller and has responsibility for managing a small team of revenue specialists. You’ll work closely with General Assembly’s enterprise business and be the leader for our Revenue Accounting Team, which includes responsibility for the internal & external audit management, financial close, revenue recognition and financial reporting in all the countries we operate in including in Europe, Asia, North America, and the Middle East. You’ll help develop best practices, improve processes and procedures, and drive efficiencies. You’ll oversee all enterprise revenue operations, including the launch of a new entity and business model and will provide strategic input for designing the operations of the new entity.
Your success in this role is dependent on your leadership, organization/people development, attention to detail, strategic execution, and communication skills. The ideal candidate must possess the ability to work in a dynamic and quick changing, fast-paced environment.
- Owning the enterprise revenue cycle, including review of contracts to determine appropriate revenue recognition in accordance with current and emerging accounting guidance.
- Collaborating with Sales, Revenue Operations, Product, Engineering, and other functions across the organization to streamline revenue data.
- Managing Revenue Accounting team, including liaising with the credit, billing and collection function.
- Responsible for the monthly revenue close, ensuring timely reporting in multiple divisions across various foreign entities.
- Developing a thorough understanding of GA’s services and revenue streams and document relevant revenue policies.
- Establishing strong working relationship and partnership with Legal, Engineering, Sales, and Operations.
- Leading continuous review of processes and controls around revenue streams and identify improvements.
- Proactively research technical revenue issues and provide guidance on revenue questions related to new or non-standard contract terms, service offerings, and marketing programs.
- Ensuring customer arrangements booked in the billing and other systems reflect revenue recognition requirements.
- Model revenue for new contracts per GAAP vs. revenue and cash flow per contract.
- Providing necessary revenue recognition inputs to the FP&A team so that the revenue forecast reflects any required GAAP adjustments.
- Working with Sales and Legal teams to provide guidance on deal structure while maintaining adherence to revenue recognition policy and booking requirements.
- Reviewing non-standard contracts upon request for pricing, discounts, payment and commercial terms, and overall economics to determine the proper revenue recognition. Must provide timely feedback to the sales team on pricing and deal structure proposals.
- Reviewing language in customer contracts to best capture the commercial and financial terms approved.
- Serving as the main point of contact for revenue inquiries during financial statement audits.
The anticipated annualized salary range for this position in the US market is $104,000 and $140,000. Salary will be determined based on experience, education, geographic location, and other factors. If hired as a regular full-time employee, this position will include a variable compensation plan which could be a bonus or a commission.
US benefit offerings for full-time employment may include medical, dental, vision, term life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, additional voluntary benefits, commuter benefits, wellness plans & reimbursement and retirement programs. Available paid leave may include paid time off, parental leave and holiday pay.
Unless otherwise noted, remote positions can be performed from the following approved General Assembly operating countries.
United States of America (states of operation may vary), Canada (provinces of operation may vary), United Kingdom, Australia, and Singapore.