Senior Product Counsel
Course Hero, Inc. is now Learneo!
Learneo is a platform of builder-driven businesses, including Course Hero, CliffsNotes, LitCharts, Quillbot, Symbolab, and Scribbr, all united around a shared mission of supercharging productivity and learning for everyone. We attract and scale high growth businesses built and run by visionary entrepreneurs. Each business innovates independently but has a unique opportunity to collaborate, experiment, and grow together, and they are supported by centralized corporate operations functions, including HR, Finance, and Legal.
As Learneo continues to scale and introduce new businesses to the platform, it is imperative that we have the infrastructure in place to help them build, launch, and maintain products that will contribute to our ambitious goals while minimizing legal risk. As such, we are looking for a Sr. Product Counsel to join our talented Legal team, reporting directly to our Director of Product & Privacy. You will support one or more business lines (as needed) while working closely with product, engineering, and other key stakeholders to provide legal counsel on a variety of product related issues, including copyright, DMCA, privacy, and compliance matters.
The successful candidate will have significant experience and subject matter expertise in copyright law, combined with a builder’s mindset of “figuring stuff out” and a business partner’s approach. If you are looking for an opportunity to have significant impact within a global, scaling organization and have a passion for technology and learning, this role could be a great fit!
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Partner with product managers and engineers to provide guidance on legal issues related to product design, development, and operations, with specific attention to copyright, intermediary liability, trademark, privacy, and data protection
- Build and maintain legal processes and documentation to support new product launches and feature enhancements
- Provide cross-functional leaders with pragmatic and strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business goals and initiatives
- Foster trust-based and consultative relationships with key partners across product, engineering, and their cross-functional teams
- Identify opportunities to centralize knowledge and build scalable processes to increase visibility of legal principles and processes and expedite communication/alignment/execution of legal advice and risk mitigation
- Provide support to other in-house counsel and the business as other product-related questions or issues arise (i.e., privacy)
Are you our Sr. Product Counsel?
- JD from an accredited law school and active bar membership or registered in-house counsel status in the state of California
- 8+ years of legal practice, including some in-house counsel experience, demonstrating progressive subject matter expertise in copyright and/or product counseling
- Proven experience working with product development and engineering teams, including knowledge of technical requirements and the ability to explain complex legal issues to achieve mutual understanding and alignment
- Excellent drafting skills and ability to adapt legal requirements in balanced, creative, and pragmatic ways, consistent with company objectives, policies, and processes
- Highly practiced in navigating nuanced legal matters with both internal and external parties, with a proven track record of effective negotiation and influencing skills
- Well-organized with the ability to set and successfully manage competing priorities while delivering quality work
- Motivated to work in a fast-moving and ever-evolving business environment, including willingness to work on projects that may be outside your area of expertise
- Enthusiastic team player with strong business acumen and attention to detail
- A great teammate who possesses strong business acumen and attention to detail and who recognizes that this role is about doing as well as crafting a scalable foundation
- Prior experience working/advising clients in the consumer tech sector or those with user generated content
- Solid understanding of the DMCA and copyright law
- Experience with privacy and data protection laws
- Passionate about the intersection of education and human productivity with emerging technologies
Benefits & Perks!
- Competitive salary, annual bonus, and RSUs
- Medical coverage, including full dental and vision
- Life and disability benefits
- 401(k) program (US) / retirement savings plan (Canada) with company match
- One month paid sabbatical after 5 years at the company
- Education reimbursement
- Professional development workshops & industry conferences
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Social responsibility program (volunteer time off and donation matching)
- Annual wellness stipend
- Monthly tech stipend
- Annual family planning stipend
- Monthly snack boxes delivered to your door
- Cell phone allowance
For positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Other locations: IL, MA, NJ.
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria. We strongly encourage you to apply if you're interested: we'd love to learn how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
We are a virtual-first company and have employees dispersed throughout the United States and Canada. We have a market-based pay structure that varies by location. The base pay for this position is dependent on multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed below. You may also be eligible to participate in our bonus program and may be offered an equity award, benefits, and other types of compensation.
In accordance with California law, the base salary for this role if filled within California is $138,600- $250,800
In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $138,600- $213,180
In accordance with New York law, the base salary for this role if filled within New York is $138,600- $238,260
In accordance with Washington law, the base salary for this role if filled within Washington is $138,600 - $225,720
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About Course Hero:
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
Join us on our mission!