Global Indirect Tax Specialist
Course Hero, Inc. is now Learneo!
Learneo is a platform of builder-driven businesses, including CliffsNotes, Course Hero, LanguageTool, LitCharts, Quillbot, Student Brands, Scribbr, and Symbolab, all united around a shared mission of supercharging productivity and learning for everyone. We attract and scale high growth businesses from around the world, built and run by visionary entrepreneurs (we currently have teams based in the US, Canada, India, Israel, and the EU). Each team innovates independently but has a unique opportunity to collaborate, experiment, and grow together, and they are supported by centralized corporate operations functions, including HR, Finance, and Legal.
As Learneo continues to scale and expand into new jurisdictions, it is imperative that we have the infrastructure in place to ensure we understand and comply with the complexities of indirect tax regulations where we currently or will potentially do business. As such, we are looking for someone who specializes in indirect tax to join our rapidly growing Finance team, which provides guidance and support across all of our various business lines. You will report directly to our Sr. Manager of Indirect Tax and have the opportunity to work collaboratively across our other Accounting and Control functions, as well as with stakeholders from Accounting, Legal, FP&A, business-line leaders, and outside service providers.
While we are a hyper-growth tech company, we are also mission-driven and strive to create an environment where our team members can be their authentic selves, do their best work, and help us deliver on our mission and vision. Come join us!
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Indirect Tax Compliance and Reporting:
- Ensure compliance with complex indirect tax regulations related to sales: navigate through the intricacies of sales tax, value-added tax (VAT), goods and services tax (GST), and other indirect taxes
- Work with outside tax service providers located globally to facilitate the indirect tax filing process in various jurisdictions.
- Risk Mitigation:
- Monitor updates to ever-changing tax regulations, interpret new laws, and assess their impact on Learneo for a wide variety of business partners
- Contribute to the overall risk management strategy of the finance team
- Continually manage the risk of non-compliance and associated penalties
- International Operations:
- Address the complexities of international tax regulations and assist the business in understanding tax implications across borders
- Accounting Partnership:
- Help prepare monthly, quarterly, and year-end entries associated with indirect taxes (indirect tax payable, indirect tax receivable, and indirect tax expenses) and year-end reconciliation for purposes of financial reporting
Are you our Indirect Tax Specialist?
- 5+ years of relevant experience:
- You’ve worked primarily with indirect tax and would consider yourself a specialist in this discipline
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of indirect tax laws, regulations, and compliance requirements:
- VAT: experiences with filing VAT in EU and India are preferred
- Sales Tax: any states in the US.
- You’ve worked for SAAS and/or Digital Products/Services companies
- CPA (or Masters in Taxation)
- You are a subject matter expert in indirect tax compliance processes:
- The ability to prepare tax returns, reconcile tax accounts, and ensure timely and accurate compliance with filing obligations
- A detail-oriented approach to ensuring accuracy in tax reporting and compliance
- You are a business partner:
- You can collaborate with cross-functional teams
Benefits & Perks!
- Competitive salary, annual bonus, and RSUs
- Medical coverage, including full dental and vision
- Life and disability benefits
- 401(k) program (US) / retirement savings plan (Canada) with company match
- One month paid sabbatical after 5 years at the company
- Education reimbursement
- Professional development workshops & industry conferences
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Social responsibility program (volunteer time off and donation matching)
- Annual wellness stipend
- Monthly tech stipend
- Annual family planning stipend
- Monthly snack boxes delivered to your door
- Cell phone allowance
For positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Other locations: IL, MA, NJ.
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria. We strongly encourage you to apply if you're interested: we'd love to learn how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
We are a virtual-first company and have employees dispersed throughout the United States and Canada. We have a market-based pay structure that varies by location. The base pay for this position is dependent on multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed below. You may also be eligible to participate in our bonus program and may be offered an equity award, benefits, and other types of compensation.
In accordance with California law, the base salary for this role if filled within California is $115,000.00 - $155,000.00.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About Course Hero:
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
Join us on our mission!