Senior Data Scientist - Trust & Safety
Course Hero is hiring! The new Senior Data Scientist will be a key member of the newly formed Trust and Safety team in India, owning and driving fraud investigations, modeling, detection, and prevention. You will be working cross-functionally with Product, the rest of Analytics, TechOps, Engineering and Operations to gather information, share learnings, and implement prevention initiatives. The Data Science & Analytics team at Course Hero is central to our organization and heavily influences the strategy and tactics of our company’s roadmap.
You will be telling the story behind your insights -- painting a picture to our functional partners, explaining what the numbers are telling us, and recommending new fraud detection and mitigation methods, including product changes and associated A/B tests. We are full stack Data Scientists. Problem solvers that start from DWH tables (and sometimes raw data), explore data, build models, and productionalize into our common Data Eng and ML Eng framework.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Using Exploratory Data Analysis, unsupervised, and supervised modeling, uncover how fraud works on Course Hero, identify patterns, trends, and connections
- Build models, rule-sets, reports, and other forms of capabilities to proactively detect and mitigate fraud
- Investigate all forms of malicious abuse of the platform, initially focusing on fraudulent User Generated Content upload, payment fraud, and marketplace fraud
- Aggregate and synthesize fraud-specific data sources and reports
- Be a key cross-functional contributor to fraud detection, mitigation, and prevention across Product, Ops, Engineering, TechOps, and Marketing
- Collaborate with third-party vendors to help with fraud detection and mitigation
Are you our Senior Data Scientist?
- 5+ years of work experience in data science, product analytics, or risk analytics in B2C companies across payment, e-commerce, retail, or digital media industries
- A deep understanding of the fraud space with 2+ years of work experience in investigation and exploration of fraud MOs, identifying malicious intent usage, fake accounts, and linked users, utilizing internal and external data sources to identify, investigate, and pinpoint fraud users
- Deep experience in analyzing large datasets using SQL/Python/R with focus on identifying outliers and abnormalities in user behavior, distinguishing users of all kinds from inauthentic users
- Understanding of and experience in using online fingerprinting data to identify anonymizing and obfuscation mechanisms and fraud scaling methodologies
- Familiar with best data privacy practices such as GDPR and/or CCPA to preserve user PII while balancing the effectiveness of fraud detection model
- Bias towards taking action quickly, making things happen, learning and correcting course as you receive feedback
- Detail-oriented, data-driven problem-solving skills with investigation instincts, uncovering root causes and hidden links from seemingly unrelated signals
- Ability to communicate with a broad set of stakeholders including executives, product leaders, engineering, analytics, and ML experts
- Experience with user generated content (social media posts, user profiles, user comments, user posts on professional job boards, listing boards, etc.)
- Understanding of knowledge graphs and network science
- Understanding of pattern detection modeling techniques and/or biostats
- Experience using third-party tools for fraud detection, investigation, and monitoring
- Experience with analytic tool such as Amplitude
- Strong technical understanding of network and TechOps
- Experience working with Tableau or other dashboarding tools
- Passion for evolving education to help students graduate
This role is based in India and is remote within India. Candidates must commit to overlapping 1 hour with normal business hours of Pacific Standard time 3 times per week.
- Competitive salary
- Equity/stock options
- Annual performance bonus
- Health insurance coverage (7 Lakhs for self and family)
- Life Insurance 3X the CTC
- Accidental Insurance 3X the CTC
- Learning and Development Policy Reimbursement of Courses
- Privilege Leave Paid Leaves, Casual Leaves, Mandatory Leaves, Special Leaves, Marriage Leaves, Compassionate Leaves
- Flexible Holiday
- Reset Days
- Menstrual Leaves
- Maternity Leaves & Flexible Paternity Leave
- Compassionate Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Workstation Setup Reimbursement
- Internet Bill Reimbursement
- Remote Friendly culture
- Covid Leaves
- Covid Care Leaves
- Vaccination Cost Reimbursements (For Self and Dependents)
- Annual Workations
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About Course Hero:
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
Join us on our mission!