Sr Manager, FP&A Commercial
San Francisco, CA | Finance | Reports to Head of FP&A
Who is Allbirds?
At Allbirds, we believe in using business as a force for good. We’re a global footwear and apparel brand with roots in New Zealand and headquarters in San Francisco. Since 2016, we’ve been on a mission to prove that comfort, design, and sustainability aren’t mutually exclusive. Our commitment to creating better things in a better way is fueled by a belief that the fashion industry needs to focus less on flash and more on thoughtfulness. We're a certified B Corporation, meaning we meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. We’re dedicated to making the most sustainable products we can using premium natural materials - designed for life’s everyday adventures. In fact, TIME 100 named us for being one of the most innovative companies. Already calling our first shoe, the Wool Runners, the most comfortable in the world, and there is much more to come.
We take our craft seriously, but not ourselves. As part of the Allbirds family, you can look forward to team lunches, product tests, fun company events, inspiring guest speakers, comfortable shoes, sheep puns, and lots of creative ideas.
Where we need help
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Manager of FP&A with a strong background in Commercial Finance in a direct to consumer environment. In this role, you will form strong relationships in Finance, across Allbirds, and with external stakeholders, offering well regarded advice and leadership. You will help build and execute Allbirds’s vision and strategy, support company-wide planning and forecasting cycles, direct key financial analysis and modeling; and ensure accurate financial reporting and effective controls in your area of responsibility. We’re looking for a highly curious candidate with a solid understanding of accounting principles who will drive synergies, efficiencies, and insights through process, model, and technology improvements while navigating our dynamic, fast paced and changing landscape with a high degree of autonomy and executive maturity.
What does the job entail?
- Lead, build, and develop the Commercial Finance processes, and support Finance, overall, as part of the Strategic Finance & FP&A Team.
- Build strong partnerships across the organization, as a trusted advisor and team member.
- Assist in the development of company vision and strategy, identifying business opportunities and watch outs, and suggesting the optimal path to execute against and achieve company goals.
- Support the long range and annual planning processes, aligning with the company’s vision and goals, working with Senior Management and key business partners.
- Support the monthly financial forecasting cycle by anticipating business changes and spotting trends, getting key stakeholders aligned on material inputs, completing input models, loading systems, producing reporting, insightful analysis, contingency plans, operational recommendations, etc.
- Assist with the monthly accounting close.
- Partner with Accounting, Tech, Analytics, Operations and other appropriate teams to drive financial and non-financial systems and reporting changes.
- Lead the preparation of business cases, monitor investment decisions and performance.
- Drive financial performance by developing operating and financial metrics, analyzing results and trends, providing variance and analysis driven insights and feedback; actively seek to enhance the quality of efforts across the organization, proactively resolve issues and implement change.
- Drive financial education, accountability, and operational excellence with your business partners.
- Identify opportunities to improve operations, initiating and sometimes leading that change within finance or cross functionally across the organization.
- Create insightful and actionable communications to key stakeholder groups (eg: investors, executives, BOD).
- Help design and maintain complex models/software.
- Assist with internal control documentation, testing, and process changes.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Is passionate about customers/is customer driven.
- Loves people: is a natural teacher and can present to all levels and types of stakeholders, articulating and sharing ideas that establish credibility. Can tell the story of Finance.
- Demonstrates outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Has strong business acumen, analytical, problem solving and quantitative analysis skills.
- Has solid data management and mining skills.
- Can interpret and use data to make well founded business decisions, is comfortable making decisions about abstract topics or in the absence of data.
- Is self-directed and can appropriately reorganize priorities positively and confidently in a dynamic, fast paced, and changing environment.
- Approaches tasks strategically. Can think from 0 to 60k feet and everywhere in between.
- Has an active awareness of and ensures accurate books and records persist- possess a solid understanding of accounting.
- Detail-oriented, organized and ability to multi-task and shift priorities quickly while maintaining control of deliverables.
- Shares company values and vision and is excited by the challenge of working in a dynamic start-up environment.
More practical skills needed:
- Bachelors degree required, preferably in a business discipline like accounting or finance.
- MBA and CPA a plus.
- E-tail experience a plus.
- Footwear & Apparel industry experience a plus.
- 5-8+ years in progressive Corporate FP&A & Strategy roles.
- Experience using business intelligence tools.
- Experience with ERP system design and functionality. SAP FI/CO/BI/BPC/MM/IM/Retail experience a plus.
- Microsoft excel expert; MySQL proficiency.
The pay range for this role is: $142,000 - $168,000 if performed in either our San Francisco, CA or Portland, OR corporate office. This role can also be performed remotely. The pay range for this position is $128,000 - $151,000, if performed outside of our two corporate offices.
Allbirds routinely evaluates pay rates, and the ranges are subject to change based on market rates and other considerations. We factor in a number of components when determining starting pay, including the job and level you are hired into, location, skillset, experience, and peer compensation.
When you join our flock at Allbirds, we offer competitive pay as well as bonus and equity for eligible roles, healthcare, retirement savings, and other great benefits for the whole being. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to a specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, please see the detailed list below.
- Health benefits include options for 100% company paid medical for employees: HMO, HSA, &PPO (with employee premium), vision and dental coverage for the employee (with eligible dependents at an additional cost). Company paid OneMedical memberships available for members of certain medical plans. Company HSA contribution for enrolled HSA members.
- Financial benefits include company equity for eligible roles, 401(k) with employer matching contribution, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, company-paid life insurance and disability for full time roles and pre-tax savings programs for eligible healthcare, childcare and commuter expenses.
- Unlimited PTO, plus parental leave, volunteering, medical & family care leave, bereavement, jury duty, and voting.
- Support benefits through Modern Health (free coaching and therapy sessions), Employee Assistance Program and more.
Other Perks include the company discount (50%) on Allbirds products, reimbursement on eligible wellness expenses and charitable contributions, cellphone and more.
Please apply with your resume. We're excited to hear from you!
Allbirds has a culture of honesty, respect and trust, and we are committed to providing an environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees without regard to their membership in any protected classification such as sex, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions) genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other status protected under applicable local, state, or federal law. Allbirds is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship including, but not limited to: recruitment, hiring, training, advancement and termination.
Allbirds believes in doing the right thing, and is committed to enhancing our diversity, and demonstrating that commitment to our employees, customers and community. The Company promotes diversity by developing policies, programs and procedures that foster a work environment in which differences are respected and employees are treated fairly.